Sunday 20 October 2013

Mutineers: A Live Review


As I walked towards the Islington last Friday night I was shaking despite the unseasonably warm weather. This was the first time I had been placed on a guestlist so I could review and than interview the headline act. I don't belong to any publication and I am fairly new to all of this. I was stupid to be so nervous though as everyone I met was the polar opposite of the indie hipster stereotype that I was so scared I would have to deal with.

The Mutineers were originally scheduled to play at the London Rattlesnake but due to complications, they had to be shifted to the The Islington. This than meant that the support acts also underwent a shift and artists that were not scheduled for the event warmed up the crowd. I entered the tiny side room where a handful of people lined the walls watching the first act. Unfortunately I was too late to catch her name but the crowd had fallen into a hushed trance with the beauty of this Cornish songstress' voice. Sat behind a keyboard was a petite blonde solo artist singing soft, melancholic ballads in minor key. As talented as she was however, I couldn't help but think that she had an air of snobbery about her due to the song she closed on. 'America' was a tale of how she wanted to leave her small Cornish town for the open spaces of the United States. Fair enough. However the lyrics suggested that she felt she was too good for the people of her hometown, with a lot of emphasis on teenage pregnancies and at one stage even suggested that the working class were happy with their lot, with her being the only one who wanted more. I don't deny how effortlessly she hit her notes and how beautifully she played the keyboard, but that final song did irk me! The next artist was extremely successful in entertaining the crowd. Nothing gets everyone singing and dancing more than a man with a ginger beard doing folk songs about whiskey (think Johnny Cash becoming a member of The Dubliners). Moment of mass confusion soon arose however when he dropped his guitar pick, let go off his guitar and the music continued! Wasn't this meant to be live music? Although I will give him the benefit of the doubt given that he was given his slot last minute.

The intimate venue was soon buzzing with a friendly, vibrant atmosphere which was a perfect fitting for when the Mutineers arrived on stage. Charles on bass, looked sharp as ever in a turtleneck jumper and jacket combo with Mallins looking effortless in a casual black shirt. Although each track on their debut album 'Friends, Lovers, Rivals' contains hooking riffs and catchy lyrics which means you're still singing along hours later, hearing it all in an energetic live performance deemed it even more infectious which I didn't think could be possible. What makes the Mutineers unique as a band is that although their songs are moody, the bass lines are always funky and the beat always danceable. Each member was in their own element within their respective talents, Mickey engrossed on his guitar riffs gave a kick of rock n roll attitude to each song whereas Mallins', so pure within his vocals, effortlessly conveyed the emotion. If I had to name one element of the performance which did much to impress me was the subtle vocal harmonizing as it demonstrated to me that this band were perfectionists in everything they do.

What makes the Mutineers special as a band is that they contain all the melodic moodiness which is typical of Manc bands but each member is so particular in their given roles that their talents combined results in songs that showcase the fact you don't need record companies to be a success.

After the show, I sat down with the lads for a quick Q&A. Unfortunately technology and me never seem to get along and as result my camcorder refused to work. I'm still working out how to upload the footage onto here but as soon as I can I will do so.








No comments:

Post a Comment