Sunday 6 October 2013

My Music Week in Pictures

The past week has been an accumulation of many music based discoveries that combined have resulted in  angering, educating and even sitting in a chair for an hour and a half staring at an Edgar Allan Poe doll.*


Monday 


For my 21st, a close friend got me 'Punk Rock: An Oral History' by John Robb and this week I haven't put it down. This is a brilliant resource for any cultural historian as it includes quotes and interview snippets from the greatest punk rockers in history. The likes of Mick Jones, Siouxsie Sioux, Glen Matlock plus many more lend their anecdotes and opinions to help us gain a deeper understanding of the rise and fall of punk.









Thursday 

 As much as I love the music that I already have on my iPod, at times it can get a little stale. Therefore I strolled into my local record store (Banquet Records) and asked them to recommend me an album that was full of punk energy. This is what was offered (you won't get that sort of service in HMV!). Although this was the first time I had heard anything by The Wonder Years, it was love at first listen. My favourite track on this album was 'The Devil in My Bloodstream' featuring Laura Stevenson. The song starts off as a beautiful, woeful tale of the ugliness of the industrialization of America which wiped away nature. This is accompanied by a mellow piano line and a harmonizing duet with Stevenson which places the listener at ease. However the song lulls the listener into a false sense of security as without warning, the melody is stripped away as the guitar riffs take over and the vocals become aggressive. What's not to love about a song that takes you by surprise?

Saturday 




For those who know me, they will understand that I was born a feminist and will die a feminist. Therefore when I came across this rather feminine, pastel-coloured album entitled 'Cooking Songs' ("for £15? Fuck that" exclaimed my cousin) in HMV my heart sank. Many may argue that it is aimed at all genders who like cooking, but with songs such as Rihanna's 'Only Girl In The World' Abba's 'Dancing Queen' with the clincher being 'It's Raining Men' I honestly beg to differ. I am currently debating whether to write a letter of complaint to the record company.










The highlight of my week was getting my 3rd tattoo. There is a rather long winded inspiration behind it, which you can read for yourself in my previous post. The design was an alteration of a still taken from Pink Floyd's 'The Trial'. In the original the wall was angled away from the camera with Pink slumped in the distance so to adapt it for my own body, I adjusted the angle of the wall and brought Pink forward to sit next to the graffiti. it looks red, dark and swollen at the moment but once it heals the lining of the wall will be faint, making the graffiti and Pink the dominant aspect of the tattoo. Thank you to the lovely Elisha Collins at Wicked Ink in Sutton for her great work!







*The Edgar Allan Poe doll was property of Elisha as part of her Living Dead Dolls collection. He was stood in his coffin with his wife, I want one!






No comments:

Post a Comment